Health and Fitness Tips
Heart is the only organ in our body which keeps pumping and working nonstop till we are alive. So, it becomes our prior duty to take care of this precious organ by providing it the best diet in order to run smoothly in our body. If our heart is healthy then our entire body system will be healthy and disease free.
First of all let us understand what blood pressure is and how it is linked to hypertension and strokes. Everyone knows we have a small heart in the chest on the left side of our body. Heart contracts and expands. When it contracts (Systolic pressure) gives pure blood to all parts of the body through arteries and when expands (Diastolic pressure) brings in entire impure blood from all parts of the body through veins to the heart for purification. Normal pressure of the blood is 120/80. Upper (120) is systolic pressure and lower (80) is diastolic pressure. The basic Understanding is important and could save our life.
A systolic pressure less than 120 is normal.
A reading of 120-129 is elevated.
A reading 130-139 leads to stage 1 high blood pressure (also called hypertension).
A reading of140 or more leads to stage 2 hypertension.
Finally a reading of 180 or more is a hypertensive crisis.
So, High blood pressure is not a disease but an alarm to set the system of the body right. High blood pressure leads to many dangerous diseases like, paralysis, Kidney failure, heart diseases, anaemia, eye defects, cognitive problems sleeplessness etc.
These days due to stressful life and unhealthy eating practice more and more people are coming into the category of high blood pressure patient. One in three Indians is getting affected by it. If this will continue then in near future it could be one on one. As it affects health silently without giving any major indication, so is also called silent killer. Our heart keeps on working up to 75% of its blockage, but with a pain. It gives us a sudden surprise when the condition gets worsened more. For this it is always better to prevent from it.
Silent developments can become more fatal than an actual attack as it does not make one aware of the increased risk of heart attack in future. This is also known as silent myocardial infarction (SMI), it accounts for 45 per cent of total heart attacks and affect more men than women.
Researchers have claimed that the risk of having a silent attack is associated with hypertension. This is one of the most prominent problems in developing the risk factors that may lead to heart attack.
So, it is always advised to keep checking BP reading regularly even if one is young. High blood pressure can often be prohibited or reduced by eating healthy food; maintaining a normal weight, doing regular exercises, drinking alcohol in moderation, if one cannot live without it and smoking should be entirely prohibited.
High blood pressure leads to silent heart attack
This depends on what we eat and how we use our calories which we are taking through diet. This makes a lot of difference in maintaining our heart health. Our modern and current lifestyle makes way for food that is high in calories but low in nutrient due to increased amount of refined flour, sugar, salt, and Trans-fat.
Moreover, most of people live a inactive life with low physical movement and exercises. All these factors help in building up; fat, cholesterol, and other substances (together known as plaque) in the arteries that gradually narrow the arteries. This leads to strain on the arteries resulting in the damage of heart, and develops into atherosclerosis.
As plaques harden our arteries, shows the presence of blood clots in it. This condition blocks the artery, and the flow of blood through the heart muscle is interrupted, reducing the muscle with oxygen and nutrients. This leads to damage or death of part of the heart muscle and this causes a heart attack (also known as myocardial infarction or MI).In case of a silent attack, the unrevealed scarring and damage to the heart leads to, at greater risk of other heart problems. In absence of proper treatment, the condition may further deteriorate and disrupts blood flow to the heart, so the result could be worse
Symptoms of Stroke
We cannot say that everything happens all of sudden, in fact silent heart attacks are asymptomatic, some people sense the symptoms, but they just do not recognize the sensations coming from their heart or even sometimes ignore it. The symptoms are mild and brief, and hence, many frequently confuse them for regular discomfort or another less serious problem, and ignore them.
In case, if one senses any of the risk factors for heart attack, seek immediate medical attention. If in any case experience one or more of the following:
- The two most common symptoms reported are indigestion and muscle pain, which initiates reduced blood flow to the heart.
- People may also experience nausea or excessive sweating during a heart attack which are categorised as typical symptoms.
- Shortness of breath before or during discomfort.
- One feels cold sweat, feeling nauseated or light headed.
- Uneasiness in the centre of the chest for several minutes, or intermittent (goes away and comes back). One feels uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, or pain.
- Distress in other upper-body, such as arms, the neck, the back, the jaw, or the stomach.
Stroke Home Treatment
Preventive mechanisms involve health screening to identify any existing artery blockages, and getting rid of any risk factors such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, obesity, and smoking through dietary and lifestyle changes.
An eating plan to lower or control high blood pressure can be a good starting point, Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH).
Natural Remedies for Stroke Prevention 1 the Dash diet
DASH means “Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension”. One has to reduce intake of fat, sodium, and alcohol. Then following the DASH diet for two weeks can positively lower the systolic blood pressure.
Serving suggestions for the DASH diet include:
Serving per day
Should not exceed 2,300 mg on a traditional diet or 1,500 mg on a low-sodium diet
2 to 3
Healthy fats (avocado, coconut oil, ghee)
2 to 3
4 to 5
4 to 5
Nuts, Seeds, and Legumes
4 to 5
Lean meat, Poultry, and Fish
6 to 8
Natural Remedies for Stroke Prevention 2 the DASH Diet Serving
Grains: 7-8 daily servings
Vegetables: 4-5 daily servings
Fruits: 4-5 daily servings
Low-fat or fat-free dairy products: 2-3 daily servings
How Much Is a Serving?
When one is trying to follow a healthy eating plan, it helps to know how much of a certain kind of food is considered a “serving.” One serving is:
1/2 cup cooked rice or pasta
1 slice bread
1 cup raw vegetables or fruit
1/2 cup cooked veggies or fruit
8 ounces of milk
1 teaspoon of olive oil (or any other oil)
3 ounces cooked meat
3 ounces tofu
Natural Remedies for Stroke Prevention 3 Low Salt
One can make gradual changes. Say, start by limiting to 2,400 milligrams of sodium per day (about 1 teaspoon). Once, the body has adjusted to this salt intake, cut back to 1,500 milligrams of sodium per day (about 2/3 teaspoon).
Natural Remedies for Stroke Prevention 4 Natural Diet
In general, one should eat more low-fat protein sources, whole grains, and plenty of fruits and vegetables rich in potassium, calcium, and magnesium.
- Cut back on foods that are high in saturated fat, cholesterol, and Trans fats
- One should eat more fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy foods
- One should eat more of whole-grain foods, fish, poultry, and nuts
- Cut down sodium, sweets, sugary drinks, and red meats
In research studies, it was found that people who were on the DASH diet lowered their blood pressure within 2 weeks.
Natural Remedies for Stroke Prevention 5 Portion of Food Serving
- It is always good to have one serving of vegetables at lunch and one serving at dinner.
- One serving of fruit to one’s meals or can take as a snack. Preserved fruits are easy to use, but one must check that they don’t contain added sugar.
- Use only half the typical serving of butter, margarine, or salad dressing, and use low-fat or fat-free condiments.
- Drink low-fat or skim dairy products any time one would normally use full-fat or cream.
- Limit meat to 6 ounces a day. Make some meals vegetarian.
- Add more vegetables and dry beans to the diet.
- One can eat unsalted pretzels or nuts, and fat-free yogurt, frozen yogurt, unsalted plain popcorn with no butter, raisins, low-fat and raw vegetables if felt like having snacks on chips or sweets.
- Always check food labels to select products which are lower in sodium.
Natural Remedies for Stroke Prevention 6 Physical Exercises
Besides the diet, one can just do 20 minutes of exercise a day and can significantly reduce the risk of heart attack, since sedentary life increases the risk of death approximately 3 folds in comparison to being overweight but active.
Some steps to follow to be active:
- Being active and taking regular exercises lowers blood pressure by keeping one’s heart and blood vessels in good condition.
- Regular exercise can also help one to lose weight, which will also help lower the blood pressure.
- Adults should exercise at least 150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes) of moderate-intensity aerobic activity, such as cycling or fast walking, every week.
- If not aerobics then one can do physical activity which can include anything from sport to walking and gardening.
Natural Remedies for Stroke Prevention 7 Consumption of Tea
Green tea or Milk tea has been found to overcome some cardiovascular diseases, which is the critical cause of death worldwide. Studies suggested that green tea has the potential to reduce total cholesterol (LDL or ‘bad’ cholesterol and triglycerides), which is a major cause of heart attack or stroke. This healthy beverage helps in increasing the oxidation capacity of the blood, thereby shielding the LDL particles from oxidation.
Disclaimer: Talk to a doctor before making significant changes to your diet to be sure the steps you plan to take is the right ones, for your overall health.
“DASH Diet Is the Best Diet to Keep Heart Healthy”
❖ Read More:
➥ Follow Thor Star Chris Hemsworth’s Workout and Diet Plan To Get A Ripped Body Like Superhero
➥ Sania Mirza Shares Her Fitness Story of 89kgs to 63 Kgs in 4 Months
➥ Daily Health Tips: 10 Things We Use Regularly But They Destroy Our Health
➥ What are the Most Effective Fitness Tips Every Working Women Should Follow
➥ Men Fitness: 11 Food Items You Should Eat for More Muscles