Another incident of fire break has been highlighted in the city at Kirari around 12.30 am on Monday (23.12.2019) morning. It was a cloth godown of three-storied building, in this incident nine people died and 12 got critically injured. The fire department official said that the fire broke out at around 12:30 am and due to cloth godown located in a four-storied building and the fire got saturated.
The fire services officers also said that the combustion started on the ground floor which was used as a godown to store clothes. Police said that they are trying to verify if the ground floor was being used as a small-scale factory.
This is the second major successive fire incident in the last two weeks. On December 8, a fire at a building in North Delhi’s Anaj Mandi killed 43 people.
In the current incident, the fire department said when they had reached the spot; they had found charred bodies of three people. There were nine others who had sustained burn injuries or fallen unconscious after fire spread to the upper floors of the building. They were all taken to the Sanjay Gandhi hospital.
The police have identified the names of eight of the deceased. They are Ram Chandra Jha, Sundari Devi, Sandhu Jha, Uday Chaudhary, Muskan, Anjali, Adarsh, Tulsi while one woman remains unidentified.
It is being suspected by the police that the fire might have started from the ground floor, and an explosion in an LPG cylinder boosted the fire, leading to several deaths. “There was only one staircase. The building was devoid of fire safety clearance. The LPG cylinder was on the stairs of the second floor. It exploded causing damage to the building wall too.
The Delhi Fire Services also said that seven fire tenders were sent to the spot after they had received information about the fire at 12.30 am.
It was finally brought under control at 3:50 am. At such places, the arrangement of fire extinguishers is a must and the regular check-up of proper electricity supply should be there in order to avoid the short circuit incidents.