The kidneys are two in number which is of fist-sized organs located at the bottom of the rib cage. They are positioned on either side of the spine.
Kidneys are very important for a healthy body. They are chiefly responsible for filtering waste products, excess water, and other impurities out of the blood. The liquid waste material is stored in the bladder and then removed through urination. The kidneys also regulate the pH of our body, salt, and potassium levels in the body. They contain adrenal glands at its apex and produce hormones that regulate blood pressure and control the production of red blood cells. Kidneys also help in activating vitamin D, which in turn helps the body in absorbing calcium.
Kidneys being extremely important as they take away waste matter from blood to produce urine, but if some of the kidney problems are existing in the body then naturally one suffers from diseases related to it.
❍ Some of the diseases are given as under-
Nephritis: In this kidney gets inflamed which increases blood urea, serum creatinine, and blood pressure.
Nephrosis: This occurs due to the inefficiency of renal tubules or they get damaged, this causes swelling in the body and albumin increases in the blood.
Pynophritis: In this there is pus formation and swelling in the kidneys.
Chronic Renal Failure: This destroys the capacity to work. With high blood pressure levels of blood urea, serum creatinine, Sodium, and potassium level increase to dangerous proportions. In Medical Science to filter the blood temporarily dialysis is done.
❍ Symptoms of Kidney Diseases
- Inflammation on feet and face and near the eyes
- Fever with cold
- Pain in the lower back
- Pain or difficulty in urination
- Albumin in urine
- Urea increases in blood
- Colour of urine becomes dark
- Increase of toxins in the body
- Overheating and erroneous food habits
- Use of salt, sugar, spices, liquor and other agitative foodstuffs,
- Other suppressed diseases
- Too much medication
- Deficiency of vitamins and minerals in food
These are some of the causes of kidney diseases
- Fasting is useful to take out toxins from the body and thus as per requirement fast for few days on juices; carrot, bottle gourd, cabbage juice, etc., raw potato and watermelon juice is very effective.
- After that for a few weeks take mainly lemon, orange, papaya, banana, etc.
- The intake of food products that are rich in protein should be reduced.
- The water of soaked black raisins should be consumed.
- Till the patient has not fully recovered salt should not be used.
❍ Physical Applications
- Mud pack on abdomen and back dry friction.
- Hot water enema, hot hip bath, hot foot bath, sunbath, bedsheet pack, Hot and Cold fomentation on the lower portion of the back and the wet pack should be done.
- Complete rest is advised
- Drink water from Green bottle processed in sun rays.
- Nadi shodhan, Pranayama should be practiced
- If doing acupressure treatment press the portion below ankles with your thumb. Press the relative pressure points of the lower part of the vertebral column which will give relief in Kidneys, gallbladder, and adrenal gland.