Kids of 90s and 2000s maybe had the best childhood ever. The exposure to cartoons like Dexter’s Laboratory, The Simpsons, Powerpuff Girls, Tom & Jerry and cassette games like Contra, Super Mario, Tekken, and Street Fighter have truly left a mark on our childhood.
People still love these games and most of the games we see today have taken inspiration from older ones. The gaming industry today is a multi-billion dollar market with new games releasing each day. Nevertheless, here is a list of10 video games and cassette games that will bring the nostalgia in you. Let’s get started!
1. GTA SAN ANDREAS : This is one of the best games to come out in 2004 and probably the best GTA games of all time. Even today,people play this game. It was launched for a variety of platforms like PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, andwindows. The graphics were really good, the storyline was interesting, soundtracks were catchy, and themultiplayer mode was too much fun. Also, players had access to cheat codes which doubled the fun.Game critics were very pleased with this game as it had loads of interesting missions, amazing graphics,and a bunch of mini-games.
2. MARIO: From the 8-bit era all the way up to Mario Odyssey, he always had his cap and moustache and most ofthe times, he has also got those overalls, the brown shoes and white gloves. Tough competition fromgames such as Call of Duty, Minecraft, PUBG etc. has had no effect on the popularity of Mario. It is one of the most successful game franchises of all time and today also, newer versions of it come out.
3. TEKKEN : This game title was largely popular in arcade centres. Also, this game became ubiquitous on every game cassette. Tekken was a simple fighting game where the player selects a character to fight the opponent. There were different arenas in which the battle took place and there was a tournament mode as well. The controls were simple, the game was addictive, and the characters were catchy which made Tekken 2 and Tekken 3 successful.
4. CONTRA : This is another classic cassette game. You could play this game solo or with a partner. The plot of the game was simple; protect the earth from Red Falcon terrorist group. There were many levels and boss games which were compelling enough to pull an all-nighter.
5. DUCK HUNT : It is still a mystery to many of us as to how a gun connected to the gaming console could shoot down a bird on the TV screen. Nevertheless, Duck Hunt was one of the most beloved games. The player has to shoot the duck as it flew past the screen. After every level, the speed of the flying duck increased and that’s the beauty of the game.
6. ROAD RASH: This game became an instant hit and allowed the player to be as badass as possible on the road. It was essentially a bike racing game where you could use tactics to push off other players out of track. Potholes, puddles, water, oil, and police acted as obstacles in the course of the race.
7. VIRTUA COP : Virtua Cop 1 went under the radar but Virtua Cop 2 was a big hit. The game had 3 locations; city, pier, and train. The graphics were good for that time and this was maybe the first interaction of people with a first-person shooter game.
8. PRINCE OF PERSIA – THE SANDS OF TIME : This game had great gameplay which is why it is loved so much even today. The storyline was captivating and the player could wield a dagger capable of reversing time. The game was available to play on PC, Xbox, Gameboy, PS2, and Nintendo GameCube.
9. TONY HAWK’S PRO SKATER 3 : Tony Hawk is a legend in the field of competitive skateboarding. This game came out in 2001 and at that time, Tony Hawk was at the peak of his career. The game allowed you to create your own player and teach him various skateboarding tricks. Also, the soundtracks were catchy and the game was available to play on PS2, PC, Nintendo GameCube, Nintendo 64, and Game Boy Color.
10. SONIC THE HEDGEHOG : This cassette game came out in 1991. The gameplay was similar to that of a Mario game. Also, a sonic movie is set to hit the theatres in 2020. The game was played and loved mostly because of its fast and intuitive gameplay.
Honourable MENTIONS: Zoo Tycoon, Donkey Kong, Pokemon Stadium, Crash Bandicoot, Dave, Pac Man, Midtown Madness, and Street Fighter.